Truth.... isn't it strange?

" Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities . Truth isn't "

Mark Twain

Friday, April 20, 2012

ART REPAIR

CLOSE UP OF THE DAMAGE AFTER I APPLIED THE SEALER

This is where I wish I had left well enough alone. The first coat of oil poly urethane went on beautifully. The repair to all the chips in the plaster from 60 yrs of being bumped and scratched turned out so well ..... I was really proud of the work and regretted at that point that I hadn't taken a before picture. Then I put one more coat of sealer on to even out the finish and BAM! it wrinkled!! 

The wrinkle on the 2nd layer may have been due to  the surface not being warmed enough to take the heat of the chemical reaction. The icon is made of plaster and I came back into my studio on a sunday when my heat had been turned down overnight. Plaster is like stone in that it has a lower surface temp than a wood product. This has happened to me on maybe 3 occasions in my 20 plus yrs of painting. Each time has been a puzzle as I am using a very familiar product. 

So this is the final outcome. I am not touching this anymore!! I  ended up scraping off ( very gently ) all the poly finish with a straight edge razor.... this took me several hours and lots of patience . I then had 5 times as many dings and scratches as it had before I started the original repair. Here you see it after the repair to the painting . I am not taking another chance on putting anything over it as it never had a sealer on it to begin with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment